Vegan Pumpkin Spice Challah!? That's right! No eggs, no dairy, ALL fall magic and deliciousness.
STEP 1: YEAST PARTY
☐ WARM WATER • 1/2 cup
☐ RAPID RISE YEAST • 1 packet
☐ SUGAR • 1 pinch
STEP 2: EGG REPLACEMENT PARTY
☐ WARM WATER • 3 tablespoons
☐ VEGETABLE OIL • 5 tablespoons
☐ BAKING POWDER • 2 teaspoons
STEP 3: PUMPKIN SPICE PARTY
☐ SUGAR • 3/4 cup
☐ SALT • 1 teaspoon
☐ FLOUR • 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups
☐ CINNAMON • 1 tablespoon
☐ ALLSPICE • 1 tablespoon
☐ NUTMEG • 3/4 tablespoon
☐ PUMPKIN SPICE MIX • 1 tablespoon
☐ CANNED PUMPKIN • 1 cup
CHALLAH BAKIN' SCHEDULE (30 MINUTE prep)
30 MINUTE prep
2 HOURS first rise
20 MINUTES braiding
1 HOUR second rise
25-35 MINUTES oven time
1 big 2 lb Challah
- Empty your yeast packet into a small bowl. Add a pinch of sugar and then pour 1/2 cup warm water over top and stir lightly. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes or so until bubbly and creamy.
- Egg replacement time: In a small bowl, whisk together 5 tablespoons veggie oil, 3 tablespoons warm water and 2 teaspoons baking powder (it will fizz).
- In a large bowl, combine 3 1/2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon salt, ¾ cup sugar, and all your spices. Whisk well.
- In a larger bowl, combine all wet ingredients (your yeast mixture, your egg replacement mixture, and your pumpkin puree).
- Add the liquid mixtures to your bowl of dry ingredients, stirring as you pour.
- Mix dough with a spatula or wooden spoon, then get in there with your hands and knead until smooth. Warning: it will be sticky! You can add up to 1 ½ cup additional flour to make it easier to handle, but embrace the stickiness.
- Coat the inside of a big bowl lightly with oil and drop your ball of dough inside.
- Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise on the counter (or in your oven that's not on) for 2-3 hours.
- After rising, your dough should be about double in size, dump it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Gently knead the dough to get out any big air bubbles, then braid as desired.
- Place your braided dough onto a lightly greased and foil-lined baking sheet.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise 45 more minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, and toss that bad boy inside for 26-35 minutes (depending on the oven).
- Once it is evenly golden brown on top, take your challah out of the oven, place on a cooling rack, let it cool, then put it in your face!